Let’s begin by stating the facts. While getting your MBA, you are mostly taught about the theories and trends in the market that are current to that year. Recapitulating management theories and understanding how to make them actionable is beneficial for every professional so that they can apply them to the workplace. Understanding your leadership styles and how to reinvent yourself in every situation is only possible with growing knowledge and accumulating insights and experiences. Leadership and management training boosts leaders' behavior by 30%.
Different management theories relevant to team leadership
Team leadership is how you engage a group of people and motivate them to work together towards a shared goal. Here are some theories that you can apply in the workplace:
- Scientific Performance Theory – The theory suggests that you simplify tasks for your employees and team members to increase productivity. Match the jobs to employees’ skills and abilities and provide them with enough leadership and management training to ensure that they work efficiently continuously in whatever role they’re trying to fulfill. The main essence of the theory is to maximize the efficiency of the workplace.
- Administrative management theory focuses on the experiences of managers and other executives in the workplace. Workplace management is based on coordination, leadership, and planning. It is suggested that managers plan out strategies for each level and use them accordingly. It is about giving freedom to executives and employees while carrying out responsibilities. It is also about treating everyone equally regarding their attitude and roles/duties.
- Human Relations Theory focuses on improving productivity and is the leading theory that is the foundation of human relations movements. The approach can be applied to change the conditions of the workplace for the better. Any change should be tested to see if it improves performance. The essence of the theory is to make your team members feel valued and provide attention to their well-being.
Effective team leadership techniques
One of the main benefits of applying leadership and management training is increased productivity. Most leaders will understand how to make the most of the talent of the team members by improving their performance and motivating them to do better. The other benefit is simplifying your decision-making process, where you cannot overthink and use these theories/strategies to make efficient and quick decisions. As a result, there will be more collaboration and communication, and you will reach your objective quickly.
Some techniques you could use:
- Listen and identify – The best way to achieve effective team leadership is to listen and identify the problems. This will help you to make fast decisions toward a solution.
- Divide responsibilities – Do not take the whole burden of leadership on yourself a delegate effectively. Divide the task and duties according to behavior and skills between your employees. Do not micromanage. Take a step back and give them the independence to make their own decisions.
- Communication and collaboration – Encourage employees to go to each other for practical solutions to problems. Discourage them from coming to you with everything when they have others to help them with the same. Make sure there are open and transparent communications between your team members.
- Lead by example – Most notably, always lead by example. You should carry your values everywhere and hold yourself accountable if something goes wrong.
Team leadership is about getting the employees' trust and helping them increase their performance through collaboration and communication. It is a big responsibility for a leader to become a mentor to the employees. Leadership and management training are strategies to balance theoretical reasoning and practical outcomes.